Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my COVID19 vaccine?
Answer: To get your COVID19 vaccinations you can go online or call a phone number if you don't go online. The phone number for the Frederick County, MD Health Dept. Vaccination Line is 301-600-7900 and you can make an appt. with them for your first shot. They will give you a time and location and after your first shot they will give you an appt. for the 2nd shot. If you go online you can go to http://www.health.frederickcountymd.gov/ and click on Vaccination Clinic and you fill out an interest form and then they call you to make your appt. If you have no way of getting to Frederick for your vaccine appt., call the center at 301-271-7911 and a volunteer can take you. You can also ask your local pharmacy if they will eventually be giving the vaccine, but that may be a long time in coming or not happen at all.
- What are the hours of operation for the senior center?
Answer: Mon. thru Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- How do I join the senior center?
Answer: Print the form found under join us, fill it out and mail it or drop it off in our mail box by the front door. There is no cost or you can request the form by calling the Thurmont Senior Center at 301-271-7911. If you do not drive and you live within 6 miles, we can arrange transportation here with one of our volunteers.
- How do I know what activities you have? You can find the activities under Calendar.
Answer: Generally we have a movie on Monday afternoon, exercise 3 times a week, Bingo 2 or 3 times a month, cards 3 days a week, a monthly craft, knitting group 2 times or 3 times a month, informational presentations, entertainment at times, Bunko once a month, Librarian visit with materials to check out and help with smart phones and other electronic devices once a month and more.
- How do your lunches work? You can find the menu under Calendar.Answer: Normally you would call the sr. center 301-271-7911 at least 24 hrs. in advance and order your meal. Lunch is served at 12Noon. The cost is $6.00 & includes your meat, 2 sides, bread, dessert and iced tea or coffee/hot tea. A menu is put out each month. The food is picked up fresh from the Mountain Family Restaurant each day. If you are shut-in and cannot come into the center, we can deliver within a reasonable distance, call the sr. center to arrange at 301-271-7911.
- Are there fees for your programs? Answer: Some classes have small fees. Sometimes we will have a donation basket available. We try to keep the fees low. Bunko is $5.00 to play, Bingo is $5.00 to play 20 games and $1.00 for the last game for a winner-take-all coverall.
Are there any tax preparation services for seniors?
Answer: If you didn't use the free VITA service last year then call 211 (Maryland Relay Service) and they will let you know if there are any appts. available in Frederick for free tax preparation